Updated: Jul 31
Although our last game Rainforest City was released almost a year ago, we have been hard at work making games. We have three new releases that we will be letting you know about over the next three weeks. We believe that you'll really enjoy these three very different games.
You now have the opportunity to be among the very first in the world to get your hands on them through the Origame webstore! To show our appreciation, we'll be sharing with you a 10% promo code for all three games, one per week and each lasting a week. Thank you for supporting modern Asian board games!
The first of the three upcoming games is Reef Rescue, which is a beautifully illustrated game about plunging into the Pacific Ocean to rescue a variety of marine creatures. Reef Rescue comes in our brand new 'cube' series of games, which is our smallest box size. We can promise you that it packs loads of game, and is great fun with both families and gamers.
We wanted to share with you a glimpse of the journey into making Reef Rescue, so here are five fun facts about the game:
1. The illustrations were done by @ashionglee, a supremely talented illustrator from Bandung, Indonesia who has done nature drawings for National Geographic. ashionglee also loves to dive and he has done a terrific job taking us along to experience the wonders of the sea together with him.
2. You can play Reef Rescue as a jigsaw puzzle! Although it isn't stated in the rulebook, both adults and/or young children can piece together the 40 tiles in the game to create an awe-inspiring seascape.
3. The original concept of the game was themed around Momotaro, a Japanese folk tale about collecting different animal allies as well as onigiri to face the demons. After almost ten years of evolution, the game concept became the very different and polished product that you see now.
4. All of the marine creatures in Reef Rescue make their homes in the Pacific Ocean, a body of water that connects a huge part of East Asia. We wanted to create a game that conveyed the horrors of pollution while still celebrating the beauty of the ocean. Let us know if we achieved our goal!
5. The box for Reef Rescue is a cube. Measuring 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches, it can be easily brought to your friends' houses for impromptu game nights, perhaps even in your pocket! The tiles in Reef Rescue are the same size as the tiles in Mooncake Master, and have a very marine-looking linen finish. Take a look at one to glimpse at the ocean.
We'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support, and please know that you are greatly appreciated. As promised, here is the promo code for 10% off Reef Rescue that will last from now until 31 July: "launch10off"
See you next week for another 5 fun facts about our second game due for release, Alphabeasts Attack! If you're a word game enthusiast, you won't want to miss it.